" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

March 22, 2008

Tweaking

Image by Vanda's Pictures


Sometimes we need to tweak things. I've noticed my eating needs tweaking.

I used to eat my morning oatmeal, which I prepared with water, with a drizzle of Splenda sweetened maple flavored syrup and 1, yes one, teaspoon of 1/2 & 1/2. That was breakfast, along with my single large cup of coffee.

But, I began eating Kaths Classic Oats ......and there's no denying they are yummy scrummy...and good for a body. But Kath is in weigh maintenance mode....she's lost her excess pounds.

My version of Kaths Classic Oats was prepared with 1/4 cup of oats, 4 ounces of almond milk and a half a banana which was all cooked together. Then I topped it with 1/4 ounce of walnuts and a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a drizzle of honey. Talk about heaven....and as meals go about the right number of calories. BUT.....

I went from my 1/4 cup of plain oats for 75 calories and my teaspoon of half & half at 10 calories, for a total of 85 calories (Splenda and water are zero) to 1/4 cup oats at 75K, 4 ounces of almond milk 20K, 1/2 a banana 50K, 1/4 ounce nuts 50K, 1 TB of peanut butter 100K and a drizzle of honey 15K for a grand total of: ((((((ta da)))))--310 calories.

Subtract 310 minus 85 and you've got an increase of 225 calories just at breakfast. And if you remember from a previous post, a 225 calorie daily deficit would yield a weight loss of 22.5 pounds in a year. As would the converse increase poundage by 22.5 a year.

It's easy to see why I may be stalled. I've consistently been eating more than my 1600 calories average per day...but it didn't seem like it was that much...but it was enough to take me from losing a 1/2 pound a week, or 22.5 pounds a year, to staying even in my weight.

And might I add, I really didn't feel fuller eating the larger number of calories in/on my oats. So I've decided that while I'm trying to lose I need to go back to my "old" oatmeal and save Kath's until I'm in maintenance mode.

I tweaked earlier by upping my animal protein and that has helped with my appetite control and the sluggishness I'd been experiencing. That coupled with this tweak may get things moving along again.

We'll see and I let you know.........
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.