" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

February 18, 2008

Weight Management Update


To date I’m still at a total loss of 10 pounds, with my goal to lose another 10 for a total of 20.

The month of February has been pretty much of a wash for me on my calorie intake. I’m still keeping my food journal and counting my calories but I’ve been averaging more than 1600 calories most days…closer to 1700.

But I am fine with that because I am maintaining and that is a good thing. In the past I would have been gaining the weight I’d lost, so I’m happy that I’m not losing any ground.

The month of February has been a tough month because of my 40th wedding anniversary, Valentine’s day, and my negative biopsy. All of these occasions had to be celebrated. And that generally means more than a day’s celebration in our household. In fact my negative biopsy celebration was close to a week long. When you’ve had one kind of cancer, and think you may have another kind, and find out you don’t, that is cause for much joy that is expressed through celebrating and thanksgiving to God.

Even during the celebratory eating, I’ve still kept the brakes on to a degree. I didn’t allow myself to eat everything I wanted in unlimited portions. I practiced mindful eating.

And for me that is a huge success. It’s me putting into practice what it’s taken all these years for me to realize: I must monitor my food intake and limit it accordingly. And that, in fact, is exactly what I’ve been doing.

Next week, my game plan is to get back in the groove of staying at or below, on average, 1600 calories a day and make progress on the 2nd ten.

"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.