" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

February 26, 2008

EXCUSE ME BUT: YUK! AND HOW TO SAVE A BANANA

I'm sorry to be disagreeable but I had a Starbucks caramel skinny latte yesterday and I have three words for it: yuk & double yuk! It was bitter. And it wasn't bitter like coffee bitter, but like Stevia sweetened bitterness.

Dummy me drank the whole thing too. After all, I did spend $4 on it. It may have been only 160 non-fat calories, but it's my last skinny drink from Starbucks.

The only reason I went is because I have a gift card. My frugal nature doesn't allow indulgences like Starbucks very often. I do have money left on my gift card, so future visits will find me drinking the full fat stuff with the whipped topping.

Now, on to how to save a banana....

Eating a whole banana costs me a 100 calories. So I generally try to limit my serving to a half of one. What to do with the other half?

Well, if hubby is around I can usually get him to eat it. If he is hesitant I remind him that he needs the extra potassium which, by the way, he does.

My other option has been to pop it in a zip lock bag and stash it in the freezer, where it is long forgotten until months later when I'm cleaning out the freezer and discover the banana stash, which promptly is deposited in the trash. The original intent was to use the frozen banana in smoothies, which I rarely ever make...or in banana bread, which I don't dare make.

Alternatively I've wrapped it in plastic and popped it in the fridge where it languishes because a cold black banana is not that appealing to the eye or palate and eventually it too gets tossed.

I've come up with a better way of saving the banana half. After I've washed it (yes---the outside has been handled by lots of hands and when you cut into it whatever is on the outside gets transferred to the inside) and cut it in half leaving the peeling on, I take the end without the stem and deposit it in a see through Tupperware type container and leave it sitting on the counter. Being at room temperature, it doesn't turn black and only the cut ends turns a little brown. Since it is within my sight I don't forget about it and generally use it the next day.

Mission accomplished---banana saved!
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.