" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 8, 2008

Real Hunger, Head Hunger Or Stomach Hunger?

Sometimes I have difficulty determining if I'm really hungry or if it's emotional. Brian Wansink's book Mindless Eating has a very good chart contrasting the two. Here it is:

Physical hunger

  • builds gradually

  • strikes below the neck (e.g. growling stomach)

  • occurs several hours after a meal

  • goes away when full

  • eating leads to feeling of satisfaction


Emotional Hunger

  • develops suddenly

  • above the neck (e.g., a taste for ice cream)

  • unrelated to time

  • persists despite fullness

  • eating leads to guilt and shame

After reading that list I have to conclude that so much, if not most, of my eating has been in response to emotional hunger. Something to think about and good to know. Now, figuring out how to deal with it...getting answers as to why do I experience so much emotional hunger? When I get that figured out I may be able to avoid it or at least minimize it.

***********************************************************************
Here's a recipe for Kathy---it's a knock off recipe for Applebee's Oriental Dressing. It's a favorite with my husband...I really like it too.

3 tablespoons honey
1 and 1/2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (I use regular mustard)
1/8 teaspoon toasted sesame' oil (this is dark and has a strong flavor)

Combine the above together....good on any salad.

***********************************************************************
An extra tip:

Several of my favorite recipes call for full fat mayo...when I've substituted reduced fat mayo I've been disappointed in the taste. I've found a combination that yields a very nice taste to replace the full fat mayo and saves a lot of calories.

Just combine equal parts of light mayonnaise, regular full fat Miracle Whip and fat free sour cream. This tastes much better to me than the light mayonnaise by itself.

Also, when it comes to cream cheese...I'm not crazy about the fat free but love the 30 calories for 2 tablespoons....and the reduced fat tastes good but is still a bit high in calories . So I combine the two, using equal parts. It's like the first tablespoon costs me 35 calories and I get the second one for just 15 calories, but a whole lot better taste for both tablespoons.

Those who really like or prefer the taste of fat free cream cheese, mayo and such, I say, I envy you...it's a great way to save calories. I've really tried, but would rather have less of the real stuff.

"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.