" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 24, 2008

MORE ON HEAD HUNGER VS.STOMACH HUNGER


Some question the point of differentiating between stomach hunger (real hunger) and head hunger (emotional hunger), the premise being hunger is hunger, so just don’t cave to the hunger …problem solved.

While eating food will satisfy true hunger, emotional hunger will never be satisfied by eating . You’ll eat thinking the hunger will resolve but it doesn’t….you’re still hungry. And you end up battling genuine hunger with a monkey on your back. That monkey of emotional hunger weighs you down, rendering you less able to deal with the real enemy. It’s like being a lone monkey laden soldier with one sword, surrounded by a host of soldiers with swords, having to fend them off just to survive. You can hold out, but how long? If you can get that monkey off your back you stand a better chance of surviving the battle.

Figuring out what’s “eating “you frees you up so you can focus on the real problem and deal with it appropriately….and in the process you’ll eat less food, leaving you with just real hunger to deal with.

I imagine the average person doesn’t have that many emotional issues. Most of us eat all too often because we are bored---we’re trying to fill an empty space in our lives. But there are those who genuinely have emotional issues. One such person is the author of the book Hungry, Allen Zadoff. If you get a chance to read his book do. It gives some interesting insights to emotional hunger and food addiction.

Many people are put off from the idea of anything emotional and just gloss right over the issue. But an emotional matter isn’t necessarily some head shrinking mumbo jumbo. It’s more often than not, just taking a good look and seeing what is really going on. Then, you can fix it.

As I examined my own reasons for eating I made this discovery: I was just eating too much because it tasted good and I wasn‘t paying attention.. A good dose of reality put the brakes on my eating. That reality? …it’s a food journal. Yep. When you write it down and add it up and take a look…it can be pretty shocking….and a deterrent as well.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.