" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 11, 2007

I Think I'll Go Hit Myself in the Head With a Hammer


Did you see the episode of Everybody Loves Raymond where Amy's dad discovers that her mom smokes? His response: "why don't you just drink poison?" It was hilarious and got me to thinking.

Next time I think "I'm going to have a treat", instead I should say "why don't you just drink poison". Or, "oh, goody, lets get out my fat pants!" Or, "oh fun, lets spiral into the abyss of failure"....(I say "lets" as in let us...you see, I'm speaking to my inner child...the child that needs his little baby treat).

Or maybe I could be Monk...and say to myself..."does the whiny little baby need her treat?" Wonder if I'd be chagrined (is that even a word?) enough to be embarrassed?

One strategy I found in The Thin Commandments Diet for dealing with "treats" is to tell yourself that you won't eat (name your poison) but you'll buy yourself a beautiful outfit or do something you love...whatever would truly be a treat.

At any rate I need to quit thinking of them as "treats". Treats, they are not. Now if you will excuse me, think I'll go have a ---whoops---hit myself in the head with a hammer.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.