" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 30, 2007

CLEARING THE DECKS

I like to start the new year with a clean slate. So, in the week between Christmas and the New Year I clear the decks.

I like to purge my pantry and my fridge. Meals are planned based on what is on hand, my intent being to use it up.

Doing this gives me a feeling of empowerment , of being in control and ready to face the new year and tackle my ubiquitous resolution to lose weight.

Whether it's a continuation of from the previous year or a fresh start, I forge ahead with vigor and gusto, determined to be successful with a knowledge of what has not worked in the past and armed with some new knowledge, techniques and strategies to finally succeed.

While I'm at it I do some non-food purging too. I use up the lipsticks that are half gone or a shade that turned out to be different than it appeared in the store...sometimes you can combine a couple of them and get a shade you can live with....I just can't bear to throw them away unless they are just plain old. And I finish all those partially used bottles of body moisturizer. And those tiny little guest shampoos and conditioners I get when traveling. I don't use conditioner on my hair but find it works well as a lubricant when shaving my legs.

To the men who might read my blog, when it comes to the non foods I'm pretty much clueless. My husband is frugal and doesn't accumulate stuff. Perhaps it's a good time for you to rid yourself of those rubber waistbands you call underwear and purchase some spiffy new ones. Beyond that, I'm blank.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.