" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 29, 2007

Again, Who Knew or: Where's The Beef?

This post is going to be short and to the point. I was quite surprised when I came across this information concerning beef. We've been told to limit our consumption of red meat. Being a person not to question the so called authorities I did. Turns out perhaps I should have ignored that advice.

Here's an excerpt-- go here to read the article in its entirety.

"Most people consider turkey, chicken, and fish healthy, yet think they should avoid red meat -- or only choose very lean cuts -- since they've always been told that it's high in saturated fat.
But there are two problems in that thinking. The first problem is that almost half of the fat in beef is a monounsaturated fat called oleic acid -- the same heart-healthy fat that's found in olive oil. Second, most of the saturated fat in beef actually decreases your heart-disease risk -- either by lowering LDL (bad) cholesterol, or by reducing your ratio of total cholesterol to HDL (good) cholesterol.


And besides being one of the most available sources of high-quality protein, beef also provides many important nutrients such as iron, zinc, and B vitamins. So the idea that beef is bad for you couldn't be further from the truth."

Surprised? I certainly was.

I always had my own theory about beef. I didn't think it was the saturated fat that was the problem. I figured it was the iron (beef is an excellent source of iron). Why? Because women had a lower risk than men of heart disease prior to the cessation of the menses. Women loose a lot of iron during the menses. But once they become menopausal they have the same associated risk as men---at a time when they will also naturally have an increase in iron . Add the iron in the beef to the now increased levels of iron due to no longer menstruating and you have women likely equal to men in iron intake. Wonder if anyone ever researched that angle?
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.