" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

October 12, 2007

Mistaken Consensus

I've already done one post for today, but came across this excellent article published in The New York Times titled "Diet and Fat: A Severe Case of Mistaken Consensus". I encourage you to read it in its entirety...it goes along with today's earlier post.

You will find the article at: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/09/science/09tier.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin

It explains how the "low fat" diet theory became accepted despite findings to the contrary.

From the article: "But when the theories were tested in clinical trials, the evidence kept turning up negative. As Mr. Taubes notes, the most rigorous meta-analysis of the clinical trials of low-fat diets, published in 2001 by the Cochrane Collaboration, concluded that they had no significant effect on mortality."

As with HRT--hormone replacement therapy--which was recommended as needful for menopausal women to protect them from heart disease, so thus is the low fat diet. There was no evidence to support HRT and in fact we found it did promote cancer as many believed. I believe the low fat diet will soon go the way of HRT.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.