" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

October 29, 2007

Easy Yummy Apple Dip


Here's the basic recipe:
In a 9' pie pan or plate, spread 8 oz. of cream cheese. Drizzle with 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Serve with apple slices for dipping.
Since I'm monitoring my food intake, I prefer to make single servings so I measured one serving or 2 tablespoons of cream cheese on a saucer, drizzled it with a teaspoon or two of caramel, and sprinkled with 6 grams of chopped walnuts. (tip: 1/4 cup walnuts is 30 grams and has 200 calories). Slice an apple and dip away.

Note: While I'm not a fan of anything fat free, I decided to try this first with fat free cream cheese. It was very good and I'd use it again. I also had fat free caramel ice cream topping in my fridge so used it too. I do think it's a good idea though to have some fat when you eat this snack since the apple is mainly carbohydrates as is the caramel. The fat slows down digestion and prevents sugar, and hence insulin spikes which can cause hunger and cravings. Also, the fat free cream cheese has more protein than regular or low fat...4 grams per 2 tablespoon serving.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.