" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 31, 2007

Not the Same Old Fruit

We all need to eat more fruit; but sometimes an apple is just too boring. So, I borrowed an idea from McDonalds.

Peel and dice a small apple. Top with about a half cup of plain yogurt. Then, drizzle with some honey and sprinkle a few chopped walnuts over the top. If you don't like nuts, use a little granola instead. Yum. Tasty and healthy. You could use vanilla yogurt and omit the honey.

Another way to get some fruit and calcium is to borrow an idea from Tavern on the Green in Manhattan. I had brunch there a couple years ago Easter weekend. My sister ordered yogurt. It came in a long stemmed martini type glass. In the glass were some strawberries, blueberries and raspberries in their own juices. Then there was a layer of rich creamy yogurt. On top, a layer of yummy granola. I tasted it, and it was divine.

I copied the idea at home using Yoplait vanilla custard style yogurt. For the fruit I used some slightly defrosted blueberries and raspberries to which I added a teaspoon or so of sugar per serving, and a fresh strawberry or two which I diced. For the granola I used banana walnut in the Sunbelt brand. The Bear Naked brand is delicious but very expensive in comparison.

Another quickie idea with fruit and yogurt is to slice a banana, add some plain yogurt and a drizzle of honey...granola too, if you want.

Gives these a try. I think you'll find them tasty and a nice change.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.