" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 25, 2007

For Your Sweet Tooth

If you made a resolution to eat more healthfully this year I have a couple of ideas for your sweet tooth.

The first is a scoop of pineapple sherbet. Top it with some drained canned mandarin oranges. While this doesn't sound impressive, the taste is yummy and it's fat free and low cal. Dress it up by serving in a pretty dish.

The second dessert also includes sherbet. You can use pineapple again or raspberry is nice too. Top with some frozen raspberries. You can use fresh if available. But I find not only is availability limited, the price is sky high. I keep a package of the organic berries in my fridge...the brand is Cascadian Farm and my local Krogers has them year round. The cost is around $4 for a smallish bag, but they are lovely as well as healthful. Pour some diet 7Up or Sprite or any clear carbonated beverage over the sherbet and berries for a delightful sparkling treat.

A few posts ago I told you how to make individual brownies. Omit the chocolate chips and add a scoop of Edy's Slow Churned vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of fat free chocolate fudge syrup to the warm brownie and you've got hot fudge cake for not a lot of fat calories. If you want to kick it up another notch use a pretty dish and top with some light whipped cream. The damage to your diet will be minimal but your enjoyment abundant.

Enjoy!
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.