" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 19, 2006

Listening to the voices

Not the ones in your head....but the ones that abound over the airwaves...via television, telephone, internet, radio, print media....you get the idea....

The "words" stream in....better check them out before you let them settle into your brain....perhaps asking the proverbial "who?" "what?" "why" "where" ...you know...question what you are hearing....is it truth?

The difference between truth and knowledge is this: knowledge is limited by the facts... the known and unknown....while truth is not limited by anything....it is what it is: true....

I discovered this "truth" quite by accident....

I used to pick my daughter up for lunch on Fridays, and usually I'd arrive a few minutes early and avail myself of the facilities...when it came to washing my hands I had to do so with just water as the soap dispenser never dispensed any soap...my assumption: it was empty....

While I dislike washing my hands without soap I thought better of complaining to my daughter, because after all, I was a casual visitor to the facility and I was just grateful it was there when I needed it...so I said nothing...

One day she remarked to me over lunch that someone had complained that there was never any soap in the dispenser...so, some inquiry was made to the cleaning lady who swore there was always soap in the dispenser....

A conumdrum....two people said there is never any soap...one person says there was always soap....

The discovery? there was always soap in the dispenser...in fact--it was full of soap....the problem was that the dispenser had failed to puncture the plastic bag that contained the soap, hence no soap was dispensed when pumped....

My assumption that there was never any soap in the dispenser was wrong....it was based upon the facts as I knew them...because I could not see inside the dispenser, my knowledge was limited....so was the person's who finally complained....

No matter what the facts "declared" there was, in truth, soap in that dispenser....

I only have to wonder what that cleaning lady thought, when week after week she checked the dispenser and it never needed refilling....
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.