" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 30, 2006

Just For Fall--Goulash!

Cool fall weather always whets my appetite for comfort food...no cold salads, but yummy substantial foods that fill the tummy and warm the soul. I remember eating goulash in my younger years...it was economical and easy to make. My favorite current recipe is from Paula Deen and I post it here for you. Enjoy!


From Paula Deen and the HGTV website

1-pound box elbow macaroni
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups chopped green bell pepper
2 cups chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 pounds lean ground beef
3 cups canned crushed tomatoes
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon each dried basil, ground cumin, and dried oregano
2 to 3 cups grated Cheddar

Method
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain and set aside. Heat the oil in a skillet; add the peppers, onion, and garlic, and saute until soft. Add the ground beef and saute until browned. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, to taste, and the basil, cumin, and oregano. Combine the macaroni and the beef mixture. Spread this mixture into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Top with the cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cheese is lightly browned and bubbly.

Note
I omit adding the cheese and baking the dish....it is yummy just as is. Also, I generally make half this recipe... I have substituted Italian seasoning for the basil and oregano.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.