" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

October 7, 2010

Bubbly Cheesy Casserole for Fall

I had some food languishing in the fridge that needed to be used.  Remembering noodles Romanoff from back in the day and using it as a base recipe I threw my version together.  It was delicious.


In 2 T. reduced fat spread saute one small onion chopped and 2 cloves garlic.  Remove from heat and add 4 ounces of reduced fat cream cheese (Neufchatel).  Allow to soften.  

In a large mixing bowl dump 1 cup fat free cottage cheese (Breakstone), 1 cup fat free sour cream (Breakstone), and add the above mixture.  Stir well to combine.

Now add 1 cup lean diced ham and 5 medium baked potatoes that have been peeled and cut into largish chunks.  Toss together using a light hand and pour into a greased baking dish.

Top with 2 ounces grated white sharp cheddar cheese.

Bake in a 350 degree oven until bubbly hot.


I put the brands I used in parentheses--not sure if it would matter, but sometimes fat free products don't do as well as their full fat counterparts. Using these products rendered a delicious casserole.  Of course you can always use full fat with great results.  Note:  you could used cooked noodles in place of the potatoes.  And you could omit the ham to serve as a side dish.

"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.