" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

July 8, 2010

Tomatoes in the Garden

We grow Cherokee heirloom tomatoes.  They have a concentrated taste, reminds me of tomato paste.  And they are a dark, almost purple, color.  They are my favorites.  And they are getting ripe, ready to eat.

This time of year with tomatoes abundant I like BLT's. But the typical BLT is heavy on the fat and calories and slim on protein.

Instead I have BCT's--bacon, cheese and tomato

Toast two slices of your preferred bread. Add a layer of thin sliced tomato.  Then put down a slice of fat free american cheese.  Top with 2 slices of bacon  (I use the Oscar Mayer pre-cooked bacon-2 slices are 35 calories and 3 grams of fat) that you break in half yielding 4 pieces-- so it'll cover the bread.  Now add another slice of fat free american and a final layer of tomatoes.  Salt, pepper and light mayo are optional.

Calorie count for this yummyness:

2 slices of bread 120
1/2 tomato sliced 15
2 slices fat free cheese 50
2 slices OM bacon 35
Total = 220
If you add a half tablespoon of light mayo you're in for an additional 25 calories.  BTW...fat total on my BCM is 3 grams.  Protein is 13 grams, equivalent to almost 2 ounces meat.

If you want more protein add a side of fat free cottage cheese.  One half cup of Breakstone fat free cottage cheese will give you 12 grams of protein for 80 calories.  Top it with the other half of your tomato and you've added a veg serving.  Dust with salt and pepper.  Chopped cucumber would be nice too.  Healthier and more filling than a side of potato chips.

Later when your sweet tooth hits eat a peach or have some watermelon.  Both are in season and taste great right now and will do your body a world of good.

Note:  To date my favorite fat free american cheese single is the Kraft brand.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.