" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

July 3, 2010

The Beets Are In

Lots of beets from the garden to eat.  Usually I pickle them.  Or roast them in the oven.  But I found a new recipe at this site:  Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes  Red Beet Salad.  Love it.  My husband doesn't like cilantro so I leave it out, adding it to my serving.  And I added a little non-fat yogurt/sour cream-- with Borscht in mind.  Also, the recipe calls for light mayonnaise.  The first time I used the half fat Dukes that I have on hand.  Next time I thought..hmm...I have that jar of not so great very low fat (1gram per TB) ..wonder what it would taste like--so I chanced it.  And it tasted wonderful!  A double blessing--a way to use up that jar of mayo and a way to cut the fat and calories in an already healthy recipe without compromising the taste.

The finished recipe tastes somewhat like Harvard Beets to me but is even easier to make.

So if you've got a supply of fresh beets, you might want to give it a try.

And check out Gina's site...she has a lot of good tasting low calorie/low fat recipes.  I've bookmarked several to try.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.