" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

March 19, 2010

No One Can Eat Just One

That was the line from the Lay's potato chip commercial. And I've found it to be true. In fact I've found it to be true about many foods.

But Jack LaLanne said this:

If one apple is good, you wouldn’t eat 100.

That got me to thinking. I've had some delicious apples in my time. Same with other fruit. At most I might eat a second one, but never more that that. I certainly wouldn't eat 100 apples.

But I sure could eat a 100 chips, or nuts, or pieces of chocolate.

Jack gave me something to think about. Every time I'm tempted to want more of some tasty food I remember what Jack said.

Also--I really do wonder if there are things added to our processed foods to make us want to eat more, which result in having to buy more of it more often (hence the company makes more money off of us). While nuts are natural I'm only tempted to overeat them when they have been processed, as in roasting and salting and added oils. What else might they add to those processed nuts under the heading of spices? Raw nuts just aren't that compelling to overeat are they?

Next time you're pigging out on something think about what Jack said about the apple.

By the way--if you didn't watch the video I posted yesterday you missed out. Don't be mislead by the screen shot. Jack did not advocate eating much meat, and then only broiled, grilled or baked. If you watched you'll know it was skim milk for breakfast, no butter on your toast, and a big raw salad at lunch and supper. And guess what oil he said to use on that salad?..uh huh...olive oil.  Pretty much what he said to do back in the 1950's is what we are hearing today from the experts.

Back in the day Jack was considered a nut (Did you know he was a doctor of chiropractic? I didn't until I read his website.) But Jack knew what he was talking about. I bet he felt like a fish swimming upstream in his prime. Thanks Jack. You are the man, and a lovely one to boot.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.