" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 31, 2009

Final Day of 2009

The last day of this year dawns. Outside it's gray and cold. Inside there is cheer and warmth.

Looking back over the year, it's been one of change mostly. But there were many many blessings, for which I am thankful to my God, who is beneficent--a loving God, who is wise and kind and who promises, to direct my paths if I will trust in Him.

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding; in all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths" Proverbs 3:5-6 KJV

Where will my paths lead in 2010? I have no certainty, though I have some generalized idea. But where ever they lead I can go, knowing that I am being directed...knowing that the trials and tribulations of life are not 'for nothing'.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven" Ecclesiastes 3:1.

We may look at life and commiserate as King Solomon did here:

I said of laughter, It is mad: and of mirth, What doeth it?

3I sought in mine heart to give myself unto wine, yet acquainting mine heart with wisdom; and to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was that good for the sons of men, which they should do under the heaven all the days of their life.

4I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards:

5I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits:

6I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees:

7I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me:

8I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts.

9So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me.

10And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour.

11Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.

12And I turned myself to behold wisdom, and madness, and folly: for what can the man do that cometh after the king? even that which hath been already done.

The King, who was exceedingly wealthy and had everything and had experienced everything found it all lacking. His summation--there is nothing new under the sun, there is nothing left..it is all vanity, all empty.

How sad. Perhaps you feel that way at times as well. Many are often depressed at Christmas or following Christmas, owing in part, I think, to the 'largeness' of the holiday. It is, after all, 'the most wonderful time of the year'. But I think we come away feeling empty because, just as with Solomon, the 'stuff' of Christmas is for the most part vain. When we fail to celebrate the real reason for the season it is highly likely we will feel a letdown at some point.

Solomon finally concluded this:

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Let us learn from the wise King Solomon.

Fear God. This does not mean 'be afraid of God'. The definition for fear as used here is this: extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power. In other words, revere God. He is supreme. He is power. Hold him in awe. Look to him, trust him.

Keep his commandments. This means do what he says to do, follow his direction, don't lean to your own understanding, your own thinking, but seek his.

There are many paths. One path leads to life, all others to destruction.

If you look to God and follow his direction you can rest assured, you will be walking the path that leads to life.

May this be a year of great blessing. With Tiny Tim I say "God (would you please) bless us everyone."
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.