" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

November 13, 2008

Go With Your Gut

You've heard the reports about melamine contaminating dog food and baby formula in products imported from China in part or whole.

Upon noticing that the tilapia that I loved and consumed weekly was farm raised in China I began to be concerned about that too. My gut said "quit eating it". I did--well over a year ago.


Today I read this report: Melamine: It's What's For Dinner . As it turns out the problem could be more widespread and affecting fish among other things.


Of course, distributors of those products are trying to downplay the problem. Why? You know that as well as I do: the almighty dollar/yen/rupee/pound, et al. Or, more succinctly: greed.

I plan to boycott products made in China. I think the Chinese government could do more and do it sooner to protect the health and safety of those who use what they produce. Too, I don't think they have the same level of concern for human life in general--which is pretty obvious from the things I hear about what goes on in China--which I'll omit posting here for obvious reasons.

At any rate, why should I presume that the food from their country is safe for human consumption? It all trickles down. That which a system of people or government believe in the heart and head manifests in the character and behavior. I for one don't care to pay the price for their disregard.

And folks--we don't have to depend on their government or ours to fix the problem. If we quit buying their stuff--it will go away. If there is no market for it, it won't be sold. Simple. Easy peasy. We the people have the power. It's up to us to exercise it.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.