" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

September 26, 2008

Oatmeal Cheese Danish

I tend to eat oatmeal quite often for breakfast. My favorite way is banana cooked with the oatmeal (in the microwave) and a spoonful of peanut butter on top.

Now that it's fall I'm looking to spice things up with a bit of cinnamon and such. Here's what I tried today and was pleasantly surprised.

1/3 cup dry oats
1/4 cup cottage cheese
about a 1/2 cup water--adjust
for thickness.

Nuke this for 2-2.25 minutes. If it's cooked to your liking, add some sweetener, then stir to blend. Now sprinkle the top with some cinnamon. Drizzle with 2-3 teaspoons of International Delight Vanilla Spiced Rum coffee creamer.

This truly did remind me of the flavors of a cheese danish.

Today I went to the gym where I live and rode the recumbent bike for 50 minutes and used the weight lifting pulley...did about 3 sets of 10 each using 40 pounds. I hadn't used this equipment before because I was unsure of how it worked, but a neighbor showed me--so I think I'll be going there more often since I can't walk or do squats.

It seems there is always a way to figure out how to do what needs doing if we are willing to adjust.

Lately, too, I've been noticing that I'm using my brain more and connecting the dots to prevent overeating before it happens.

For instance today I thought I was hungry. But instead of grabbing food I paused, and questioned myself. I realized, because I took time and trouble, that it was only mouth hunger. I examined myself and determined that I was likely bored. So I changed my activity (reading blogs) by getting up and moving around, doing some housework. Just the change of activity refocused my brain and the boredom ceased and the hunger was gone.

I was able to wait until lunch time to eat. Score one for me.

This brain stuff is key to real change. All my life I've pretty much responded to my hunger by eating something, never questioning the validity of it. If I were on a diet I'd grab something low-cal--but even then I was eating when I shouldn't be eating, and reinforcing a negative behavior.

So, onward and upward, marching toward the goal.

"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.