" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

September 9, 2008

Mucking Around the Thoughts in My Head

Clearly I have some contradictory thinking going on in my head. It wasn't evident to me until I wrote down some of my thoughts. Until I settle on what I believe I will be tossed to and fro in my weight loss efforts.

Do I or don't I believe exercise is weight loss requisite? I was taught that it was. Then, along the way, I rejected that notion. I decided that exercise was a great health benefit, but not necessary to achieve weight loss. And with that I was content.

But when I added exercise into my daily life for the health benefit per my doctor's instruction I noted that the number on the scale move down a little quicker. Which of course made me very happy and that happiness was energizing and empowered me. I attributed the quicker loss to the increase in physical activity.

Then along came the disabling ailments and the exercise I was doing had to be shelved....just when I was really enjoying it too. Because I wasn't doing it for weight loss, but instead doing it for health, the motivation was different and not measurable, and I found it pleasurable--there was no real pressure.

So here I am tossed to and fro in my thinking--believing that since I've had to stop my exercise my weight loss efforts are going to stall, I'm going to fail, and the result is my intention is set in that direction--the direction of failing.

Obviously I'd forgotten my core belief--that weight loss is possible without exercising. So I'm kicking out the conflicting belief and refining my thinking by throwing a new thought/belief into the mix--or the mire..hahaha--as follows:

Since the "diet" part--that is eating less food--is the primary part--it is critical that I not fudge there. If an extra 100 calories a day can net an increase of 10 pounds in a year, it can also prevent me from losing 10
pounds in a year.

Refining my thinking yields a clearer understanding and eliminates the unrest and frustration I've been experiencing due to conflicting beliefs. It allows me to purpose my intention in a singular direction.

If you find yourself quite frustrated with your "diet"--or whatever you call it--you may have some conflicting thinking/beliefs. Examine them, refine them and then set your intention.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.