August 22, 2008
Are You a Normal Eater?
Take this quiz , copied from Normal Eating, to determine if you are a "normal" eater. Choose one answer in each section.
1. I often eat when I'm not hungry, but just want to stuff something into my mouth.
2. I try to deny my hunger and hope it goes away.
3. I usually eat whenever I'm moderately hungry.
1. I go for high-calorie, high-fat, high-carb, "bad" foods.
2. I eat only low-calorie, low-fat, low-carb, "good" foods.
3. I eat a combination of foods based on my hunger level and what I enjoy.
1. I eat so fast, feel so guilty, or am so tuned out when I eat that I rarely enjoy food.
2. I don't think about food as enjoyable or nourishing, only how it will affect my weight.
3. I generally find eating a pleasurable experience.
FULLNESS AND SATISFACTION
1. I often eat way past full and/or satisfied and end up eating too much.
2. I eat as little as possible and rarely feel satisfied after eating.
3. I usually stop eating when I am pleasantly full or satisfied.
Evaluate Your Answers:
If you most often checked off the first box in each section, it's likely that you're an emotional, compulsive overeater.
If you most often checked off the second box in each section, it's likely that you're a chronic dieter or restrictive under-eater.
If you most often checked off the third box in each section, it's likely that you're a "normal" eater.
If you checked off a mixture of first and second boxes, it's likely that you yo-yo between dieting and binge-eating.
For more information check out the Normal Eating website.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."