" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

July 15, 2008

Vacation time! Off to visit my mom…be back in about 10 days. Thought I’d leave you with these coffee treats. If you’ve yet to try iced coffee, I say go for it. Being a person who can’t abide her coffee lukewarm---it must be very hot---the thought of cold coffee was a turn off. But…once I tried it I was hooked. I drink hot coffee without sweetener, but I usually add some sweetener to my iced coffee unless it accompanies a sweet food item.

ICED COFFEE
I’ve loved iced coffee for a long time and now that it is available at McD’s seems a lot of other folks do too. Here’s how I make it at home.

Instant Version
In a 16-20 oz glass add 2 teaspoons of instant coffee plus about ¼ cup of very hot water to dissolve the coffee. Add sweetener now so it dissolves if using. You can add flavoring too, if desired. I use a teaspoon of raspberry flavoring, vanilla, or butter pecan--the same ones you use in baking. You could use some flavored non-dairy creamer too. Now fill the glass with ice and add very cold water, about ¾ full which leaves room for adding milk the rest of the way (¼). Voila! Iced coffee. And it tastes good too.

Planned Ahead Version
When you make your morning coffee, make extra. Place it in the fridge---I put my coffee carafe right in the fridge after it’s cooled a bit. When the iced coffee craving hits, fill a glass with ice, add coffee ¾ of the way, sweetener and flavoring if desired, followed by milk the rest of the way . Stir and enjoy.

EASY COFFEE DESSERT
Dice one fun size Snickers candy bar into “bits”---chocolate chip size. Stir into 1 serving of Breyer’s Coffee Ice Cream. Top with a couple tablespoons of whipped cream or topping. Calories: approximately 230 Caution: this is sooooo good!
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.