" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

May 14, 2008

Obstacles to Weight Loss Success

Based on my own experience there are 2 major obstacles to losing weight and keeping it off.

I used to think that motivation was the major issue and key to success. But all too often highly motivated people fail in the endeavor.

The two major obstacles that have hindered me are hunger and food restrictions.

I can last a good long while on a diet plan going hungry. But the time comes when it gets old. And I can last a good long while not eating some of my favorite foods. But that too gets old.

Both of these, hunger and food restrictions, were the stumbling stones on my journey.

Figuring out what to eat and how much to eat to hold hunger at bay and yet create a calorie deficit has been a godsend. And figuring out how to include the foods I really enjoy put an end to feeling deprived.

All too often, in our haste we sabotage our success. We eat too few calories so we can lose faster and think we can go through life avoiding our favorite foods and being hungry all the time.

It's not so much motivation we are lacking, but a good plan...a good method to rid ourselves of excess pounds once and for all.

If you are having a hard time staying the course ask yourself why. Then figure out how to adjust what you are doing, removing your obstacles in the process.

A minor obstacle I faced was the belief that I had to exercise to lose weight and since I hated exercise in general I could never lose weight. But when I changed my thinking and began to believe that I could lose without daily vigorous exercise, that obstacle was removed. I decided I would just make my goal to move more in general. That goal was doable for me and a stepping stone to success.

So instead of looking for motivation, examine what is hindering you practically speaking. Hunger? Food restrictions? You hate exercise? Now figure out what you can do to eliminate the obstacles.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.