" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

March 25, 2008

Persistance Pays Off

One thing I've learned on the weight loss journey is that there is no "end"...a beginning, yes, but end...no. To maintain losses or continue losing requires a concerted ongoing effort. But that doesn't mean misery and deprivation. It's just a matter of figuring out how to make it work...how to have your cake and eat it too.

If you've read my blog for a while you know I started at the end of September on my quest to lose 20 pounds. I made it halfway just prior to February. Ten pounds in 5 months.....which pretty much came to a halt because of several celebrations in early February and then later in the month and early March some hiccups---hey...life happens. Thankfully, while I haven't lost any additional weight, I haven't given up my quest---though at times I was tempted--- and I haven't regained my lost pounds....to that I say "woo hoo!!!". For me, this is a huge hurdle to get over and a major victory.

A few posts back I mentioned my need to tweak things a bit. The changes I'm making are getting me back to my desired calorie range---the extra 100-200 calories a day I was eating was stalling me.

I've gotten lots of inspiration, which prevents boredom, reading some new blogs that focus on lots of veggies and healthy lower calorie foods that are tasty as well as filling. Being a veggie lover, that's right up my alley.

My preference food wise is to keep things simple and quick. I found this pretty cool web page: The Cottage Cheese Page . Cottage cheese is, in my opinion, a much maligned food. It is a great source of protein, economical and can be used in a variety of sweet and savory ways.

You might also want to check out his link: An Herbivore's Guide to Lite Eating--"a blog dedicated to low-calorie vegetarian recipes that are as easy to make as they are to eat". Healthy vegetarian eating is not always low calorie....you can gain weight eating too much healthy food just as easily as eating too much junk.

Head on over to the above links--you might get some new inspiration....I did. You'll notice a link to "the Tuna Page" on the cottage cheese page. I haven't checked it out yet, but plan to...we all need to eat more fish and tuna is an easy and economical way to do so.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
To pique your interest here is a recipe from The Cottage Cheese Page:

Cottage Cheese Nachos

*fat free cottage cheese
*lean or extra lean ground beef
*some tomatoes/green peppers or salsa
*some Tostito low fat baked sour cream and cheese tortilla chips

"Combine all ingredients and you have some healthy nachos! They are awesome, high in protein, low in carb and fat.... try to get as much as possible from the cottage cheese (cottage cheese is the sour cream substitute) and as little as possible from the chips... also, try cottage cheese mixed with microwaved garbanzos and add 1 packet of Equal....."

It sounds like this is to be mixed together although you could layer it in an individual serving bowl. (The web page says the recipes given are one serving.) This would be great for those times when you're starving, need something fast and have a craving for junk food....although I wouldn't consider this junk food. I imagine this would stick to your ribs too.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.