" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 15, 2008

THE TROUBLE WITH ALL

Before I began to examine my behavior and relationship with food, if you’d asked me how much I wanted my unspoken response would be “all” of it. I ate as much as I wanted of everything without reservation.

Fortunately for me “all”, relative to my body need for energy, was only enough to increase my girth 50 pounds above what I should weigh. Fifty pounds is significant but not as mind boggling to me as 100 pounds. And it took me several years to get up to the full fifty.

Since I’ve put into place some practical limitations on my food intake through painless measures and lifted the self imposed ban on so many foods, I’ve noticed my response is different now. My thought process has changed and as a result so has my behavior.

I find myself thinking as I examine my food choices “do I really want all that?”

That question leads me to another question : “Dinah---why would you eat all that food just because you can?” Giving it serious thought I’ve come to surmise that it makes no sense whatsoever, which brings me to this corollary: Dinah---eat all you want, but want all you eat, as well.”

The net result of the directive, “to eat all I want but to want all I eat” is that I am eating less food.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.