" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 1, 2007

New Year, New You?

There are many who say "bah humbug" when it comes to making New Year's resolutions. Not me.

I look forward to January and a clean slate so to speak. The holidays are over and it's time to move on. I always resolve to get back to more healthful eating and get in a daily walk along with some stretching and strengthening exercises. Nothing too demanding, but something doable that I can live with. I also love to begin the decluttering process...weeding out unnecessary papers that have accumulated and getting ready for income tax time.

My house, closets and drawers get pared down too. Too many knick knacks? Out they go. Stained dish clothes and towels, ragged bath linens? They get tossed too. These items are generally not terribly expensive and replacing them gives a nice lift during the winter doldrums. Those clothes I've been saving that I can't get into or the shoes I never wear because they are not comfortable...gone. The Good Will or Salvation Army is glad to get good usable items such as these. You'll be helping others by lightening your load. Too much stuff weighs one down.

If you have trouble letting go of things, try this. Have 3 groupings. One is "keep", one is "go" and the third is "unsure". Place the unsure things in a container and put it in your garage or the trunk of your car. When you find you don't use, miss or have need of those "unsure" things, you'll be ready to dispose of them.

To get started eating healfully in the new year try this "light" meal. It's tasty, fun and low in fat and calories.

Menu

Miso Soup
Green Salad with Wasabi Dressing
Lemongrass Chicken
Green Tea

Not being one who relishes lengthy ordeals in the kitchen, here are my shortcuts.

I purchase the soup as a powdered mix and add boiling water. The salad comes from a bag of romaine and iceberg lettuce with carrots and red cabbage. The dressing is seasoned rice wine vinegar with a dab of wasabi paste stirred in. I was surprised at how good this tastes. Lastly, the lemongrass chicken is a frozen South Beach Lean Cuisine entree. It was yummy. Brew up the green tea from a bag...Lipton is good.

To jazz things up I serve the soup in an oriental style bowl with a Japanese soup spoon. Serve the salad on a clear glass salad plate or any plate that is Orient inspired. If you have a Japanese tea pot and cups, use them for the green tea.

For me, this is a meal for one....when hubby is at work and I'm home alone. Try it. You'll be surprised how satisfying it is.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.